Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Buying Organic

Mr. hunky has been on an organic kick since May. He wants me to exclusively buy organic fruits and veggies which I always have a hard time doing. My wallet cries every time I put something organic into my cart. $5 for a thing of strawberries? $6 for blueberries? It kills me. I do it because he's the bread winner and that's what he wants but it kills me to see the $5 strawberries next to the $2 strawberries. Isn't a strawberry a strawberry? Yes, organic is obviously pesticide free, but aside from the USDA marking on the package, how do we really know that we're getting organic? It's not like you can see or taste pesticides. Maybe I should sit down and so some more research on organic produce.

Do you buy organic? What are your pros and cons about buying organic?

3 comments:

  1. If you are going to buy organic but need to limit which items you purchase organically, the best possible thing to splurge on is milk.

    Also, Costco and Sam Club have great prices on organic fruits and veggies... but you get 500 lbs of them so eat up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also struggle with the cost of buying organic foods. I wish it was more readily available since it's the healthier choice...I haven't checked out Costco or Sam's though. I guess I know where to look next! I agree that I wish there was a way to know for sure what we're really getting when we buy "organic".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also struggle with the cost of buying organic foods. I wish it was more readily available since it's the healthier choice...I haven't checked out Costco or Sam's though. I guess I know where to look next! I agree that I wish there was a way to know for sure what we're really getting when we buy "organic".

    ReplyDelete