Pages

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Just When You've Think You've Got Parenting Down

Just when you think you've got parenting down, your little one throws you through a loop. Seriously. I have been feeling very bonded with Baby A the last few months of his life since he has been growing more and exploring his personality. Of course, I have felt bonded with him since the moment I found out that I was pregnant, but you know what I mean. A babies personality just grows when they hit around the 7-8 month mark and they develop into the little silly that they are meant to be. I thought I had my job as a parent down pretty well, I know what he wants, when he wants it, his likes and dislikes, routine, etc. I'm not saying that I'm a super mom, I'm just saying that I know my child better than I think I know myself sometimes. Well, yesterday he threw me through a loop.

After tubby time we have a little routine, I dry him off and free him to the realm of the house as I drain the bath, hang his towel to dry, and head to his bedroom. 9 times out of 10 Baby A is in the hall waiting for me or waiting for me in his bedroom, I get him diapered and dressed, then he gets to enjoy his evening bottle before bed. Evidently his plans differed last night.
 
*I apologize for the TMI of this next paragraph and the curse word I am about to unleash, unfortunately, the story is not quite as funny without the profanity*
 
 
As I headed to Baby A's bedroom, I was calling for him to come join me, and the house was quiet. Well sort of, Mr. Hunky was in the kitchen cleaning up from dinner so it wasn't really quiet, but for Baby A, it was. After calling him for a few second I finally heard his little giggle and pitter patter of his hands crawling on the floor. When I turned the corner to the kitchen I saw his little nakedness coming toward me laughing, and what appeared to be smeared refried beans on the tile (we had Mexican food for dinner). I immediately took a tone with Mr. Hunky demanding to know why he so carelessly dropped beans on the floor and didn't clean it up. Mid sentence I looked up a little further into the living room and started laughing hysterically. I mean, laughing so hard that there were tears in my eyes. Baby a sh*t on the carpet. Yep, you read that right. My son took a big fat poop right in the middle of the living room. I immediately grabbed Baby A and ran back to the still draining bath tub and threw him in it (I didn't literally throw him, obviously). Oh wait, it gets better. As I'm trying to clean Baby A up in the tub, he proceeds to sh*t some more!

I laughed for probably about an hour on and off last night. For me it wasn't one of those situations where you are mad now, laugh later. It was a laugh as it's happening, after, and probably every time I think about last night for the rest of my life. Baby A reminded me of something important last night- expect the unexpected, especially when it comes to your kids because just when you think you've got parenting down, they do something like sh*t on the floor to remind you that you'll never really have it mastered.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment